Pizza night does not need to be classified as junk food!
Add more fibre and protein to your favourite calzone
- 13.8 oz (391g) prepared pizza dough (or enough for 1 large pizza)
- 1-19 fl oz (1-540 mL) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sundried tomatoes, dry, not in oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) pepperoni slices, halved
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced black olives
- 2 cup (500 mL) light shredded mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) pizza sauce
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Divide dough into 8 equal parts, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Using a rolling pin, roll dough into 6-8” circles.
- In a medium bowl, combine lentils, sundried tomatoes, onion, pepperoni, black olives and pizza sauce.
- Put 1/3 cup of lentil mixture into center of dough and top with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Fold over dough to enclose lentil a cheese mixture and pinch dough together where you see any openings.
- Grease baking pan and place calzones 2” apart.
- Pierce tops with fork and lightly coat tops with egg white.
- Bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for 35 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Food Manitoba Group