Variety performance of soybeans, dry (edible) beans, field peas, faba beans and lentils is tested at multiple locations throughout Manitoba every year. The purpose of variety performance testing is to provide Manitoba farmers and agronomists with independent information on yield and agronomic characteristics. The information is summarized in the guides below and designed to help select the best varieties suited to each farm and growing region in Manitoba. For each crop type, information is available on yield, maturity and other important agronomic and quality traits specific to each crop.
Contents of these publications can only be reproduced with permission from MPSG.
- 2016 Pulse & Soybean Variety Evaluation Guide
- 2016 Soybean Variety Evaluation Guide
- 2015 Pulse & Soybean Variety Evaluation Guide
- 2015 Soybean Variety Evaluation Guide
- 2014 Pulse & Soybean Variety Evaluation Guide
- 2014 Soybeans Variety Evaluation Guide
- 2013 Pulse & Soybean Variety Evaluation Guide
- 2013 Soybean Variety Evaluation Guide
Variety trial locations
|Roundup Ready Soybeans – Eastern Manitoba||Arborg, Beausejour, Stonewall, Carman, Morris, Portage, St. Adolphe, Morden, Rosebank|
|Conventional Soybeans - Eastern Manitoba||Arborg, Beausejour, Stonewall, Carman, Morris, Portage, St. Adolphe, Morden, Rosebank|
|Roundup Ready Soybeans – Western Manitoba||Boissevain, Carberry, Dauphin, Hamiota, Melita, Roblin|
|Conventional Soybeans - Western Manitoba||Carberry, Melita|
|Dry Beans – Narrow Rows||Boissevain, Carberry, Melita, Morden|
|Dry Beans - Wide Rows||Carman, Morden, Portage, Winkler|
|Field Peas||Arborg, Boissevain, Carberry, Hamiota, Melita, Portage, Roblin, Thornhill|
|Faba Beans||Arborg, Roblin|
Manitoba Pulse & Soybean Growers would like to thank the following organizations who assist with organizing, establishing and managing the crop variety evaluations.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Cereal Research Centre
- Manitoba Agriculture
- Manitoba Crop Variety Evaluation Team (MCVET)
- Prairies East Sustainable Agriculture Initiative (PESAI)
- Westman Agriculture Development Organization (WADO)
- Canada-Manitoba Crop Diversification Centres (CMCDC)
- Parkland Crop Diversification Foundation (PCDF)
- Crop Production Services
- Murphy et al Inc.