Makes 8 cups
- 8 cups (2 L) low sodium chicken broth*
- 1 lb (450 g) dried yellow split peas, rinsed
- 1 lb (450 g) smoked sausage, sliced*
- 1½ cups (375 mL) carrots, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
*Gluten-free brand required if you want this recipe to be gluten-free
- In a 5 quart (4.73 litres) slow cooker combine chicken broth, peas, sausage, carrot, celery, potatoes, onion, garlic, oregano and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook 6-7 hours on high. Remove the bay leaves before serving.