The MPSG Bean App features six unique, interactive tools to assist soybean and dry bean farmers with important crop production decisions. The Bean App is free and available for Android (Google Play) and Apple (iTunes) users. A Web App is also available on your desktop (IE10/11, Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and other mobile devices (Android, Blackberry and Windows).
- Soybean Seeding Rate Calculator – Find the most economical seeding rate for your soybeans. This tool helps you identify the optimum soybean plant stand, based on current market price and expected yield, and estimate the seed survival rate, resulting in the most profitable seeding rate(s). This tool utilizes research results from our On-Farm Network.
- Soybean Plant Stand Assessor – Assess your established plant population of solid-seeded or row-cropped soybeans, and receive feedback based on research results. Feedback applies to soybeans specifically, but the calculator itself can be used to assess plants stands of other crops. The research referenced in this app tool is derived from a soybean plant population study conducted by Dr. Ramona Mohr et al. of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, across 20 site-years in Manitoba from 2010-2013.
- Soybean Growth Staging Guide – Identify key growth and development stages of soybeans. Proper identification of growth staging is critical for field operations, such as herbicide and fungicide application. This tool identifies each growth stage from emergence to harvest, with pictures and detailed descriptions as a helpful reference.
- Soybean Yield Estimator – Estimate your soybean yield prior to harvest to aid storage capacity and budgeting decisions. But remember, it’s only an estimate! Soybean yields are highly variable within fields. Increasing the number of samples and sampling from different areas of the field can improve the accuracy of this estimate.
- NEW! Soybean Harvest Loss Assessor – Determine soybean yield loss during harvest. This tool allows you to enter counts of soybean seeds lost at the header, where 80% of harvest losses occur. The calculator easily converts seed counts to yield loss by factoring in seed size and the rule that 4 seeds per square foot are equal to 1 bu/ac of yield loss. This tool may also be used for losses behind the combine.
- Dry Bean White Mould Risk Assessment – Calculate your risk level of white mould development in dry beans to decide whether or not fungicide application is necessary. This tool considers the key elements that can lead to disease development, including weather conditions, management practices, and crop rotation.